Doctor of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor
Pavlo Tychyna Uman State Pedagogical University
The essence of the concept WIND is invetigated in the article in the texts of Ukrainian folk orders. The peculiarities of expression and functioning of this concept in orders of different thematic groups are determined. The linguistic means, which form the semantic content of the concept WIND, are described. The language model of the world, reflecting the peculiarities of a certain lingoculture, retains the perceptions inherent to the society. One of the key concepts of Ukrainian ethnoculture is the wind energy, which implements universal and national specifics. Concept WIND is a fragment of the language model of the world of Ukrainians; it preserves the results of cognitive activity and reflects archetypal representations of the mental model. Emotional assessment of the wind in the texts of Ukrainian orders is ambivalent. On the one hand, the wind is conceived as an assistant, and on the other hand – as a dangerous, unmanageable power. For the most part, the concept WIND is verbalized in the texts of orders from pains, from the bite of a snake, and its metaphorical transformations are manifested by epithets that depict sad images. The lexeme wind is associated with the persistent character of the violent. Epithets strong, violent specify the semantics of the wind. Constituents of the concept WIND are tokens on the designation of motion, time and space. In the texts of Ukrainian folk orders the token is accompanied by a number of symbols. Personification of the wind is realized in the appeals, illustrating the connection with the mythical knowledge of our ancestors.Appeal to the wind is an integral part of the spell formula, which manifests itself in the acts of a request, requirement or order. The formula for the protection or prevention is order, in which there are verbs with “guarding” semantics, such as: help, save, and protect. The formulation of the submission is made using the verb in the orderly manner and the circumstances of the place, it is productive in orders, where the disease is sent by the wind and by the smoke. The verbal formulas of the texts of the Ukrainian folk orders, in which the concept WIND operates, reflects the model of the Ukrainian’s world. Orders are an exceptionally important component of the folk medicine of Ukrainians and are among the suggestive means of treating the patient’s mental and physical disorders.
Key words: Ukrainian folk orders, text, concept WIND, language model of the world, ambivalence, symbol, mimicry, semantics, lexeme.
- Zahnitko, A. P., Shchukina, I. A. Velykyi tlumachnyi slovnyk. Suchasna Ukrajinska mova: vid A do Ia [Great Explanatory Dictionary. Modern Ukrainian: from A to Ia] (Donetsk, BAO, 2008), 704 (in Ukr.).
- Dunaievska, L, Pavlov, O, Polkovenko, T, Fisun, V. Verbal’na mahiiaukrajintsiv [Verbal magic of Ukrainians] (Kyiv, Biblioteka ukrajintsia, 1998), 98 (in Ukr.).
- Vasylenko, M. H., Shevchuk, T. M. Vy, zorі-zorytsi… Ukrajinska narodnamahichna poeziia (Zamovliannia) [You, Stars–stars…Ukrainian folk magicpoetry (Spells)] (Kyiv, Molod’, 1991), 336 (in Ukr.).
- Voitovych, V. M. Ukrajinska mifolohiia [Ukrainian mythology] (Kyiv, Lybid’, 2005), 664 (in Ukr.).
- Holoborod’ko, K. U. «Linhvistychnyi status contseptu [Linguistic status of the concept].» Kul’tura narodov Prichernomor’ia. Simferopol’ 32 (2002): 27–29 (in Ukr.).
- Holubovska, I.O., Koroliov, I. R. Aktual’ni problem suchasnoji linhvistyky: kurs lektsii [Topical problems of modern linguistics] (Kyiv, Vydavnuch-polihrafochnyi tsentr “Kyivskyi Universytet”, 2011), 223 (in Ukr.).
- Heishtor, A. Slovianska mifolohiia [Slavic mythology] (Kyiv, TOV “Vydavnytstvo “Klio””, 2018), 416 (in Ukr.).
- Zhaivoronok, V.V. Znaky ukrajinskoi etnikul’tury: slovnyk-dovidnyk [Signs of Ukrainian ethnoculture: reference book] (Kyiv, Dovira, 2006), 703 (in Ukr.).
- Zhaivoronok, V.V. «Problema kontseptual’noi kartyny svitu ta movnoho ii vidobrazhennia [The problem of conceptual picture of the world and its language reflection].» Kul’tura narodov Prichernomor’ia. Simferopol’32 (2002): 51–53 (in Ukr.).
- Dmytrenko, M.K. Zamovliannia [Spells] (Kyiv, Vydavets Mykola Dmytrenko, 2007), 124 (in Ukr.).
- Kopanytsia, L. M. Poetychnyi tekst v usnij i knyzhnij tradytsii: Pytanniapoetyky ta khuduzhnioji semantyky: navchal’nyi posibnyk [Poetic text inoral and bookish tradition: The question of poetics and art semantics: teaching manual] (Кyiv, Vydavnycho-polihrafichnyi tsentr “Kyivskyi universytet”, 2010), 397 (in Ukr.).
- Kochan, I. M. Linhvistychnyi analiz tekstu: navch. posib. 2-he vydannia[Linguistic analysis of the text: teaching manual (second edition)] (Kyiv, Znannia, 2008), 423 (in Ukr.).
- Kubriakova, E. S., Demiankov, V. Z., Pankrat, U. G. Kratkii slovar’ kognitivnyh terminiv [Short dictionary of cognitive terms] (Moskva, 1996), 176 (in Russ.).
- Lozko, H. S. Ukrajinske yazychnytstvo [Ukrainian paganism] (Кyiv, Zodiak-ЕКО, 1995), 368 (in Ukr.).
- Mojseienko, А. К. «Slovo v systemi Shevchenkovoho tekstu: poetyka dekoduvannia.» Monohr. [The word in the system of Shevchenko’s text: poetics of decoding] (Кyiv, Vydavnycho-polihrafichnyi tsentr “Kyivskyi universytet”, 2013), 255 (in Ukr.).
- Radziievska, T. V. «Narysy z contseptual’noho analizu ta linhvistyky tekstu. Tekst – sotsium – kul’tura – movna osobystist’.” Monohr. [Outlines of conseptual analysis and linguistics of the text. Text – society – culture – linguistic personality] (Kyiv, DP “Inform.-analit. ahenstvo”, 2010), 491 (in Ukr.).
- Skliarenko, V. H. “Temni mistsia” v “Slovi o polku Ihorevim” [“Dark places” in “The word about Ihor’s regiment”] (Кyiv, Dovira, 2003), 147 (in Ukr.).