←2020. – Vol. 17
Marta А. Karp
Lviv National Polytechnic University
The relevance of the study is due to the need for comprehensive disclosure of grammatical means of cohesion in the organization of English multimodal literary fairy tales from the standpoint of the functional paradigm of modern linguistic studies and taking into account the achievements of semiotics, narratology, text linguistics, discourse stylistics. The object of research concerns the contaminated cohesion of the English multimodal fictional text of the literary fairy tales written by Philip Ardagh. The subject of the research deals with the grammatical means of cohesion in the multimodal organization of modern English literary fairy tales by Philip Ardagh. The aim of the study is to identify and characterize the structural, semiotic and narrative aspects of the category of cohesion of English multimodal literary fairy tales that determine its text-forming nature. Stated aim implies the need to solve the following tasks: to develop semiotic and narrative approach to the analysis of grammatical means of cohesion in English multimodal literary fairy tales by Philip Ardagh; to analyze the verbal and nonverbal interaction of the components of contaminated cohesion in the structure of the analyzed literary fairy tales; to establish the dominant structural, semiotic and narrative features of the creation of contaminated cohesion in literary fairy tales. The scientific novelty of the obtained results is determined by the fact that for the first time a comprehensive analysis of the text-forming category of cohesion in a modern English multimodal literary fairy tale based on the methodological paradigm of functionalism, which covers structural, semiotic and narrative aspects has been carried out.
Key words: contaminated cohesion, English multimodal literary fairy tale, GeM model, iconic component, verbal component.
- Karp, Marta. “Narativnij zmіst kontamіnovanoї kogezії mul’timodal’noї kazki Fіlіpa Arda [Narrative content of contaminated cohesion in the multimodal tale written by Philip Ardagh].” Naukovі zapiski Ternopіl’s’kogo nacіonal’nogo pedagogіchnogo unіversitetu 28, no. 2 (2017): 37–43 (In Ukr.).
- Kuharenko, Valerija. Interpretacija tekstu [Interpretation of the text]. Vinnycja: Nova knyga, 1988 (In Ukr.).
- Formanovskaja, Natal’ja. Rechevoe vzaymodejstvye: kommunykacyja y prag-matyka [Speech interaction: communication and pragmatics.]. Moskva: YKAR, 2007.
- Cook, Guy. Discourse and Literature. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1995.
- Royce, Terry. “Multimodal Communicative Competence in Second Language Contexts.” In New Directions in the Analysis of Multimodal Discourse, 361–390. New York: Lawrence Erlbaum & Assoc., 2007.
- “The Handbook of Discourse Analysis” In Blackwell Handbooks in Linguistics, еdited by Deborah Schiffrin, Deborah Tannen, Heidi Hamilton. Massachusetts; Oxford: Blackwell Publishers Ltd, 2001.
- Ardagh, Philip, and Paul Mc Cartney. High in the Clouds, illustrated by Geoff Dunbar. New York: Dutton Children’s Books, 2005. (HiC)
- Ardagh, Philip. Grubtown Tales. Book Two. The Year That It Rained Cows or That Well-known Secret Door, illustrated by Jim Paillot. London: Faber and Faber Ltd., 2009. (YIRC)
- Ardagh, Philip. Grubtown Tales. Book Three. The Far From Great Escape or The Light, the Switch and the Wardrobe, illustrated by Jim Paillot. London: Faber and Faber Ltd., 2009. (FFGE)