Ivan Franko Lviv National University
The article deals with the images of gods and heroes as important components of the macroconcept HUMAN in idylls of Theocritus, a prominent Greek poet of the Hellenistic period. The subject is explained with attention to human as biological creature. The article is aimed at the disposing the main mythological images and studying their verbal and stylistic surrounding. Around 60 micr-contexts have been analyzed which inform about the peculiarities of the images. In the context of the proposed topic the images of Zeus, Aphrodite, Eros and heroes Hercules, Castor and Polydeuces have been examined. Theocritus’ gods played roles of irreplaceable and influential characters who totally controlled the mortals, they used to frighten people and cause negative emotions. On the other hand, heroes are depicted as ideal mythological figures who can also behave like human. The analysis of lexical and stylistic display of these images shows that the poet was trying to create a system of permanent epithets for his characters modelled after epic works. Of these epithets 13 characterize gods and 20 – heroes. We can assume that the images of gods and heroes are important in the imaginary world of Theocritus.
Key words: Theocritus, idyll, macro-concept, image, gods, heroes, epithet.
- Novak G. F., LeshhukJu. V. Obrazna struktura konceptu MENSCH (LYUDYNA) u pislyavojennomu shidnonimec’komu movnomu prostori (na materiali tvoru T. Brussiga “Gerojijakmy” / T. Brussig “Heldenwiewir”) [Figurative structure of the concept MENSCH (HUMAN) in the postwar East German language space (on the material of T. Brussig’s “Heroes like us”)]. ‒ Scientific Journal of Lesya UkrajinkaVolyn’ National University.Vol. 1 Cognitive Linguistics, Part 3 (1), 2011, pp. 146‒148.
- Pashhenko V. I., Pashhenko N. I. Antychna literatura [Antique literature]. Kyjiv, Lybid’, 2004, 718 p.
- Sakoni P. M. Strukturni ta semantychni osoblyvosti “Idyliy” Teokrita (na materiali idyliy XI, XIII, XVIII, XXII, XXIV, XXV) [Structural and Semantical Peculiarities of Theocritus’Idylls (on the material of the idylls XI, XIII, XVIII, XXII, XXIV, XXV)]. Kyjiv, 1995, 27 p.
- Simanskaya E. Je. Struktura koncepta chelovek v krymskotatarskom jazyke [Structure of the concept human in Crimean Tatar language]. Simferopol’, 2011, Vol. 211, pp. 98‒100.
- Sukalenko T. M. Metaforychne vyrazhennya konceptu“zhinka” v ukrajins’kiy movi [Metaphorical expression of the concept “woman” in Ukrainian language]. Kyjiv, 2010, 240 p.
- Mastronarde D. J. Theocritus’ Idyll 13: Love and the Hero / D. J. Mastronarde // Transactions and Proceedings of the American Philological Association.‒Vol. 99, (1968). ‒ pp. 273‒290.
- The Greek Bucolic Poets / With an English translation by J. M. Edmonds. ‒ London: William Heinemann; NewYork: G. P. Putnam’ssons, 1919. ‒ 527 p.