Mylyk Oksana Vasylivna
PhD, lecturer at theLatin and foreign languages department, Danylo Halytskyy Lviv National Medical University
The article is devoted to the investigation of the nominative field of the subconcept SANITAS in the Latin language, which has a complex character due to the integration in its structure lexical field, phraseological field and synonymic sets. The essence of the nominative field in the system of language has been analyzed with regard to the specifics of nominative units – its verbalizers; kernel and prekernel zones, near and far peripheries have been defined; the means of microfields verbalization of the prekernel zone of subconcept SANITAS as well as the list of lingual units verbalizing the concept HEALTH have been investigated. It has been defined that nominative field structure of the HEALTH concept is represented as core and pre-core zones consisting of some microfields as well as close and distant peripheries of SALUS, SANITAS, VALETUDO subconcepts. The semantic field of the SANITAS subconcept has been built up due to the principle of semantic proximity / difference basing on the integral seme and frequency of acquiring certain meanings by the concepts’ names. It has been defined that the SALUS, SANITAS, VALETUDO subconcepts share the common slots «being (somatically and/or mentally) healthy» and «providing somatic and/or mental health». It has also been emphasized that the SANITAS subconcept substantially integrated the semes of HEALTH concept that led to its dominant role in nominating both somatic and mental health states in the lingual world model of the ancient Romans, while the sanitas lexeme and co-root words appear to be the fundamental means that verbalize the HEALTH concept in the Latin language. Therefore, the article contributes to the development of the theoretical principles of ancient languages concepts’ research as well as to the development of cognitive linguistics, linguistic culturology, axiological linguistics, etc. It enables to find out the specific dimensions of ancient Romans’ mode of thinking and their world outlook.
Keywords: concept, subconcept, SANITAS, health, nominative field.
- Bogdanova, A. G. «Kognitivnaja interpretacija edinic nominativnogo polja koncepta «vezhlivost’» (na material nemeckogo i russkogo jazykov) [Cognitive interpretation of units of the nominative field of the concept “politeness” (on the material of the German and Russian languages)].» Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta 319 (2009): 11-15. (In Russ.).
- Vasil’eva, O. S. Psihologija zdorov‘ja cheloveka: jetalony, predstavlenija, ustanovki: ucheb. posobie [Psychology of human health: standards, ideas, attitudes] (Moskva, Izdatel’skij centr «Akademija», 2001), 352 (In Russ.).
- Dvoreckij, I. H. Latinsko-russkijs lovar [Latin-Russian Dictionary](Moskva, Russkij jazyk, 1976), 1088 (In Russ.).
- Maslova V. A. Kognitivnaja lingvistika [Cognitive Linguistics] (Mn., Tetra Sistems, 2008.), 272 (In Russ.).
- Mihajlova, L. M. «Postroenie nominativnogo polja koncepta «GOVORENIE» v sovremennom anglijskom jazyke [Construction of the nominative field of the concept “SPEAKING” in modern English].» Gumanitarnye i social’nye nauki 5 (2008), dostup // hses-online.ru/2008/05/10_02_04/5_6.pdf (In Russ.).
- Popova, Z. D. Kognitivnaja lingvistika [Cognitive Linguistics] (Moskva, AST, Vostok-Zapad, 2007), 315 (In Russ.).
- Postovalova,І. V. «Lіteraturoznavchij analіz hudozhn’ogo tvoru: funkcіonuvannja ponjattja «concept» [Literary analysis of artistic work: the functioning of the notion «concept»].» Vіsnik Lugans‘kogonacіonal‘nogo unіversitetu іmenі Tarasa Shevchenka, Serija Fіlologіchnі nauki, ch. ІІ, № 3 (214) (2011): 32-43 (In Ukr.).
- Forcellini Ae. Lexicontotius Latinitatis, t. 1–4 (Forni, 1965).
- Glare, P.G. W. Oxford Latin Dictionary (Oxford : Oxford Universitypress, 1968), 2151.