Yaryna T. Stetsko
Ph. D. (Philology), Associate Professor,
Ivan Franko National University of L’viv
The first decades of the 20 th century marked the beginning of fundamental changes in artistic expressions and in the very perception and understanding of Ukrainian and French national arts. Limiting ourselves in this article to the analysis of artistic prose speech, and more specifically, the genre of the novel, we see that not only the method and style of presenting the author’s idea, but also the very concept of literary expressiveness underwent revolutionary changes.
Figures of both writers, V. Domontovych and L.-F. Celine, cause different attitudes from their fellow citizens. Their actions and views are not always completely understandable and generally known to us today. At the same time, it is impossible not to note the numerous parallel, although often completely different approaches to artistic and literary expression on the part of both writers.
The purpose of the article is to identify such parallels and differences in the creative styles of writers. L.-F. Seline’s roman “Voyage au bout de la nuit” and V. Domontovych’s novel “Soilless” are the subject of analysis. In author’s languages, mainly their rhythmic and melodic features are analyzed. The texts are studied by the method of their comparative analysis in view of the national, historical, cultural and biographical and professional features characteristic of both authors.
On the basis of the conducted research, we reach conclusions according to which the creative styles of V. Domontovych and L.-F. Celine is likened by the conciseness of the expression; clearly expressed, often syncopated, rhythmic pattern; elements of sound expressive features of artistic expression; the ability to increase and decrease the tempo and increase or decrease the volume; virtuoso manipulation of lexical means of speech. Morphologically, adjectives play a decisive role in describing characters and situations.
Key words: “petite musique”, rhythm, syncopation, melody, adjective, syntax, vocabulary, intellectual novel.
1. Domontovich, V. Doktor Serafikus. Bez gruntu (Kiyiv: Kritika, 1999) [In Ukr.].
2. Selin, Luyi-Ferdinan. Podorozh na kraj nochi. Pereklad Petra Tarashuka (Kiyiv: Yunivers; Harkiv: Folio, 2000) [In Ukr.].
3. Selin, Luyi-Ferdinan. Mea culpa. Pereklad Petra Tarashuka, https://chtyvo.org.ua/ authors/Louis-Ferdinand_Celine/Mea_Culpa/. [In Ukr.].
4. Pavlichko, Solomiya. «Roman yak intelektualna provokaciya.» Doktor Serafikus. Bez gruntu, V. Domontovich (Kiyiv: Kritika, 1999): 3-16 [In Ukr.].
5. Shereh, Yurij. Poza knizhkami (Kiyiv: ChAS, 1998) [In Ukr.].
6. Céline, Louis-Ferdinand. Voyage au bout de la nuit (Gallimard, 1952).
7. Céline, Louis-Ferdinand. «Mea culpa» dans les Cahiers Céline (Gallimard) 7 (1986): 30-45.
8. Petrenko-Tseunova, Olha. «The Motive of Discrepancy in Hryhorii Skovoroda’s Works.» Kyiv-Mohyla Humanities Journal 9 (2022): 69–81, http://kmhj.ukma.edu.ua/