Anastasia O. Vynnyk
6th year student
National Technical University of Ukraine “Ihor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute”
The article is devoted to the study of the linguopragmatic means of self-identification of a modern woman in the feministic English-language film discourse (translational aspect). Gender relations are present in language in the form of culturally conditioned stereotypes that leave an imprint on the process of verbalization depending on the gender of the individual and on the process of his linguistic socialization. In the process of verbalization, the character’s image becomes a category of linguistic consciousness, from which it enters into new associative connections.
In the theory of gender, each of the sexes is assigned a set of certain roles in society, as well as personal qualities that play an important role in creating a prototype of male and female in public and individual consciousness. In the analyzed film texts, a number of lexical oppositions were found, which are a kind of projection of gender oppositions – that is, oppositions of stereotypical ideas about what masculinity (man) is and what femininity (woman) is. It is interesting that stereotypical ideas about gender, which exist in the language in the form of oppositions, are practically not explicitly presented in the analyzed film texts. Basically, they are implemented in an implicit, associative (that is, more or less hidden) form.
The material of analysis in the work was a feature film that tells about the life and career path of Coco Chanel. The film “Coco Chanel” and the film “Sex and the City”, which depicts female friendship between four female friends. The presence of a gender component in the film text depends on the use of certain linguistic means that can strengthen or weaken the “male/female” dichotomy. The application of the general criteria for the analysis of English language means in the research allows to reveal the peculiarities of the linguistic implementation of modern gender models of behavior.
That is why, the study of femininity includes a description of the stereotypes associated with them and the means of formal expression of these stereotypes in the language in the translation aspect.
Key words: gender, stereotypes, feminism, film discourse, self-identification, translational aspect.
1. Grydasova, O. «Film discourse as an object of learning film translation.» Bulletin of Zhytomyr State University 2 (74) (2014): 102–107.
2. Kropіnova, T. «Translation of film text: specifics of film text as a translation object.» Theory and practice translated (2009): 407–411.
3. Lekh, O., Kisilitsya, G. Understanding discourse in modern linguistics and linguistic gender, http://www.rusnauka.com/12_KPSN_2009/Philologia/44919.doc.htm
4. Mironova, N. «Gender in linguistics. Cholovіcha i zhіnocha mova.» Actual problems of the word’yansk philology. Vol. 9: Linguistics and literary studies (2004), 521.
5. Poda, O. Gender markers in the titles of publications of the magazine “Soviet Woman” (second half of the 1940s–1680s), http://www.irbis-nbuv.gov.ua/cgi-bin/irbis_nbuv/cgiirbis_64.exe?I21DBN=LINK&P21DBN=UJRN&Z21ID=&S21REF=10&S21CNR=20&S21STN=1&S21FMT=ASP_meta&C21COM=S&2_S21P03=FILA=&2_S21STR=ZPNDZP_2010_2_37
6. Sidorenko, N. «Gender determinants in the information space of Ukraine.» Philosophical anthropological studio’2001 (2001): 197–209.
7. Topchiy, L. «Gender issues in education.» Scientific Bulletin of the Izmail State Humanitarian University. Series “Philological sciences” 47 (2020): 103–110.
8. Aaltonen, S. Time-haring on Stage: Drama Translation in theater and society. (Philadelphia: Adelaid, 2000): 248.
9. Cameron, D. Language and Sexuality (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003), 264.
10. Goffman, E. «The Arrangement Between Sexes.» Theory and Society 4 (1977): 301–331.
11. Hird, M. «Gender’s nature: intersexuality, transsexualism and the “sex”/“gender” binary.» Feminist theory 1 (3) (2000): 347–364.
Sources of illustrative material
12. Coco Chenel, http://baskino.me/films/biograficheskie/8132-koko-do-shanel.html
13. Sex at the great place, http://sex-city-online.com/
14. Coco Chanel, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRYurR4kbTo
15. Sex and the City (2008): TV-show / by D. Star, https://ororo.tv/ru/shows/sex-and-the-city#1-1